VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT CITY OF FLAGSTAFF
“We Make the City Better”
Date Posted: October 25, 2019
Vacancy No: 138-19
Position Title: Parking Aide
Division / Section: Economic Vitality / Community Investment
Closing Date: November 29, 2019
Position Status: Full Time;
FLSA Non-Exempt; Tenure & Benefit
Eligible Work Week: Hours will vary Sunday – Saturday; Shifts Will Rotate;
Salary Range: $14.7257 Per
Hour Recruitment: City website; Free websites; AZ Daily Sun (10/27, 10/30); Indeed.com; Lumberjack; Monster.com;
To Apply: Submit a City of Flagstaff application and a handwritten Police Background Packet to the HR office: 211 W. Aspen Avenue, Flagstaff, AZ 86001
For more information, please visit: https://www.flagstaff.az.gov/Jobs.aspx?UniqueId=167&From=All&CommunityJobs=False&JobID=Parking-Aide-1800
Team Flagstaff is looking for an individual who enjoys being outside in the community whether by walking or driving. The ideal candidate should enjoy speaking with the public and have the ability to maintain emotional and professional composure when faced with stressful situations. You will issue warnings and citations to gain compliance for parking violations, use hand-held equipment and resolve customer complaints. You will testify in court at parking hearings and may also be called to assist with traffic control.
Actively supports and upholds the City’s stated mission and values. Under supervision of the Flagstaff Police Department and Economic Vitality Division, with daily operations being supervised by the Parking Manager, employees of this classification are responsible for performing routine duties in the enforcement of the City of Flagstaff's parking regulations.
• Supervisory: This job does not have formal supervisory responsibilities.
• Budgetary: This job does not have budgetary responsibilities but carries out day-to-day activities within approved budget.
• Strategic Planning: This job does not have strategic planning responsibilities but carries out day-to-day activities in order to reach the stated goals and objectives.
• Policies/Procedures: This job carries out day-to-day activities in accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Compliance: This job has partial responsibility at the program level (follows, assists in ensuring compliance with, and may enforce) Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations as well as City policies and procedures.
• Council Communications: This job carries out day-to-day activities in accordance with Council’s adopted priorities and direction.
• Reporting: This job has partial responsibility at the program level for reporting to Federal/State/Local agencies including ticket information for adjudication.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
• Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers. Act as an ambassador of ParkFlag and the City of Flagstaff ensuring a positive customer experience.
• Safely patrols the City of Flagstaff downtown business district by foot, bicycle and automobile to enforce the city's parking regulations.
• Issues citations to violators of the parking regulations.
• Answers inquiries from the public concerning the city's parking regulations, and directs citizens to the proper authorities for disposition of complaints or inquiries, if necessary.
• Reports any suspicious activities to commissioned officers.
• May provide traffic control assistance to regular officers as assigned or needed in connection with special or emergency situations.
• Utilizes ParkFlag’s enforcement software system to issue parking warnings and citations in accordance with the Comprehensive Parking Management Program.
• Operate a handheld device on a regular basis in varying weather conditions.
• Utilizes license plate reader for enforcement activities while operating automobile.
• Appears and testifies in administrative hearings on parking tickets, utilizing prepared evidentiary reports such as drawings, ticket history, and written documentation.
• Follows up on abandoned vehicle reports and arranges to meet with city contracted towing companies for removal of the vehicles.
• Use handheld tools, including wrenches, locks, and devises such as wheel clamps (boots). Installs wheel clamps on vehicles, as necessary.
• Performs general maintenance on pay-to-park equipment, including handheld devices, parking kiosks, and signage.
• Performs related duties as required.
• High school diploma or G.E.D.
• Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona driver’s license.
• Or any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
• 1-3 years clerical experience, including typing and data entry.
• Ability to learn and apply general maintenance procedures for digital meter equipment.
• Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
• Must recognize and accept the expectation of ethical and law abiding behavior in both professional and personal life, as an example to the public you serve.
• Ability to walk parking control routes on a sustained basis, sometimes under adverse weather conditions.
• Willingness and ability to submit to, and pass, an extensive police background check, including a lie detector and pre- and post- employment drug screening.
• Ability to become certified by ACJIS for computerized inquiries on vehicle registrations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
• Knowledge of parking regulations and related laws of the City of Flagstaff, or the ability to acquire this knowledge rapidly.
• Ability to operate parking enforcement hardware and software on a routine basis.
• Ability to consistently and fairly enforce the City's parking ordinance.
• Knowledge of the geography for the parking district in the City of Flagstaff.
• Ability to present comprehensive justification for ticket enforcement at administrative hearings.
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
• Ability to interact courteously but firmly with the general public, including written and verbal communication.
• Skill in conflict management, including effective de-escalation techniques.
• Ability to maintain emotional and professional composure when faced with stressful situations.
• Ability to walk, bike, or drive prescribed routes on a sustained basis in all weather conditions
• Ability to accurately fill out and process all paperwork associated with parking citations and abandoned vehicles.
• Ability to thoroughly learn and follow the rules and regulations of the Police Department.
• Ability to type and perform data entry into computer systems. • Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, superiors, and the general public.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger/handle/feel, and reach with hands and arms. This position is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and is regularly required to talk or hear.
• The position is frequently required to lift and/or move up to 10 lbs., and occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 100 lbs.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Working conditions include frequently working in outdoor weather conditions, including exposure to road and vehicle hazards, and engaging in difficult public interactions. This position is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, and is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions.
• The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to loud.
Range 4, A-1-3, FLSA non-exempt
PRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS PHYSICAL, POLYGRAPH, MMPI-2, FINGERPRINTS, NON-REGULATED DRUG AND ALCOHOL SCREENING AND HPE/EJF
The City of Flagstaff is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, or protected Veteran status.
For application materials:
Visit: Human Resources Monday – Friday 8 AM – 4 PM at: 211 W. Aspen Ave., Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Call: (928) 213-2090 or 1 (800)-463-1389
Fax: (928) 213-2089
Applications are due to Human Resources by 4 PM AZ time on the closing date regardless of the postmarked date.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Cal Poly Pomona University Police & Parking Services
Salary Range: Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience
For a complete description, please visit our website: https://www.cpp.edu/~jobs/index.shtml